Blogger of the Week: Ashley Turner from Pink Julep
We spoke to the lovely Ashley Turner of Pink Julep this week to get her advice on all things fashion. She certainly knows her stuff!
1. Tell us about your blog. How did it all start?
Pink Julep started as a hobby when I lived in the Cayman Islands in 2008 and it wasn’t very fashion-driven at all back then. It slowly evolved into the fashion-focused, trend-driven lifestyle blog it is now and I started writing Pink Julep full-time this year. It’s been a really fun, wild ride!
2. As a fashion blogger you have an incredible style. What are your failsafe style tips?
Thank you! A few style tips I live by are 1. Confidence is the best accessory there is and it looks great on everyone! 2. Don’t be afraid to take risks – you never grow if you don’t push your own boundaries. 3. When in doubt, wear black and keep a cocktail ring or statement necklace & a lipstick in your bag. You’re rarely underdressed or overdressed in black and a quick addition of sparkle & lipstick dresses up any look in a pinch!
3. Name 3 wardrobe essentials which you cannot live without?
1. A black cardigan for layering over summer dresses & tops in cooler months 2. Metallic Gold Heels – I have two pairs and I wear them with literally anything to add a little something extra 3. Patterned tights – they can take just about any dress from drab to fab in mere seconds!
4. What has been your favourite trend this year?
I love neon! It’s so fun, flirty and girlie and when worn in just the right amount, really adds a pop to your look!
5. Autumn/Winter 12 fashion is creeping into stores across the high street. Which new trends are you most excited about?
I’m all about booties, jewel tones and sparkly, bejeweled embellishments and statement jewellery for Autumn!
6. Favourite high street store and why?
This varies from season to season, but at the moment, I’m having a bit of a love affair with River Island and The Gap. I never used to shop in those stores and if you’d asked me this time last year I’d have said Monsoon & H&M. As styles and trends change, I find myself migrating to the shop that does it best for me each season.
7. Favourite designer and why?
Such a hard question. Historically speaking, I love Christian Dior & YSL, but currently I’m loving what Hedi Slimane & Raf Simmons are doing with these brands as well. I’m also falling in love with everything by Peter Pilotto!
8. Any advice for aspiring bloggers on how to start a fashion or beauty blog?
Just dive right in and start blogging about what you love and always remember that what makes your blog interesting is your unique perspective, so put yourself into it!
9. Who are your favourite fashion blogs to read?
I love Atlantic Pacific, The Blonde Salad & Fashion Foie Gras. I read so many it would be hard to list them all, but these are the ones I check when I don’t have time to read any others.
10. Lastly, if you had to ban one fashion item off the planet what would it be?
CROCS! They should be outlawed!